Friday, September 4, 2009

Friday is Baking Day

Every Friday I bake Challah bread, so we do a lot of our baking on Friday. My husband is Jewish, and when we moved to South Carolina we found that it was a bit harder to find challah bread at the market as we had in the Boston area. And, when it was available, it wasn't the best or the freshest. So, I started making my own. It was a lot easier than running around to different places on Friday to search for it. I'll post my Challah recipe at some point in the future. For now, let me share with you what I am baking this morning, in honor of the harvest season. It is a really dense and yummy bread.



Pumpkin Bread

1 small sugar pumpkin (I half it, scoop out seeds and then bake it for 1-2 hours)
4 eggs
1 cup canola oil
2/3 cup water
2 3/4 cups brown sugar
3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ginger

Puree pumpkin, eggs and water together in blender. Mix with rest of ingredients. Pour into two greased and floured loaf pans (I use glass). Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Enjoy!
Makes two loaves. Freezes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment