Thursday, September 10, 2009

On being *mostly* TV-free

DS hasn't watched TV in a very long time.... until these past couple of weeks. Both kids have been waking up at night lately, and, in my exhausted efforts to get dinner started, I have turned it on for short intervals. I don't feel as guilty about it as I thought I would. For the most part, I believe that toddlers really don't need TV in their lives. I've noticed a big change in DS since we stopped watching it altogether. His imagination is absolutely incredible, and some of the stuff that comes out of his head, 100% organically grown in there (not a product of something he has watched and parrots back at me) totally impresses me.

Anyhow, per some recommendations on MDC, I just rented "The Red Balloon" on Netflix. What a wonderful, wonderful film. DD and DS both sat through the entire thing (a rarity) and were completely rapt. And, I don't feel guilty about showing it to them.

These past few weeks have been hard for me. I've got the end of summer blues. I find myself feeling like this, as one season draws to a close, more often then not. Living here, in SC, has been a major adjustment for me. But, I am trying to bloom where I am planted for the time being. I have hopes of moving back North, though. North of the Mason-Dixon line. The South isn't for me, I've never felt like I've fit in here. I'm doing a major cleanout right now, because you never know, we could move at anytime. Keeping focused on the present and trying to live in the moment should be my focus, though, and I'm working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment